A judge in Contra Costa County on Monday revoked bail for Ross Farca, the Concord man accused of threatening to kill Jews, less than two weeks after a federal magistrate judge did the same, ruling that Farca poses a “danger to the community” and ordering that the 24-year-old be held in federal custody without bail until further notice.
Police in Concord arrested Farca on June 10 after the FBI informed them of threats against Jews posted on a gaming website. Farca was charged with making criminal threats and possessing an illegal assault weapon, and he was released on bail on the condition that he be subject to search and seizure by police at any time.
On Nov. 22, the U.S. Department of Justice issued a press release saying Farca had been arrested again for allegedly making false statements to the U.S. government in an attempt to join the Army dating back to 2017.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Sallie Kim cited “concerning” behavior by Farca while on pretrial release in her decision to revoke bail, writing in a detention order signed Nov. 27 that “no conditions could be fashioned” to prevent danger to the community should he be released again.
Farca reportedly used an encrypted email service to communicate with a “potential mass shooter” while on pretrial release, Kim wrote, despite police having confiscated multiple laptops and a computer tower at the time of his arrest. The interlocutor was described as a San Jose State University student facing charges similar to Farca’s. Encryption was used “to evade detection by law enforcement,” Kim wrote.
The allegations against Farca, as well as his behavior after his arrest, factored into her decision to revoke bail, she wrote. Kim mentioned, among other things, posts linked to Farca that expressed admiration for mass shooters in Poway, California, and Christchurch, New Zealand.
“Specifically, the defendant made violent anti-Semitic statements online and demonstrated that he was inspired by recent domestic terrorists in the United States and abroad,” she wrote. “These factors, among others adduced at the hearing, clearly and convincingly demonstrate that if released the defendant would be a danger to the community.”
The online posts linked to Farca are littered with references to weapons and military tactics and demonstrate a fascination with war echoed in the court filings. They mention wanting to find “high-value targets” and “target richness” for a mass shooting against Jews and plans to conserve ammo during the attack by using a weapon in “semi auto” and reloading from dead police officers. Officials say Farca assembled an assault weapon himself earlier this year, using accessories attached to a “frame” or receiver he bought in February.
Farca — who police say demonstrated a fascination with war and weapons dating back years — allegedly worried federal agents transporting him last month with “extensive questions about their weapons, training and body armor,” according to a report on the Nov. 22 bail hearing in the Mercury News.
In 2017 Farca acted on his interests, joining the U.S. Army after allegedly lying about his mental health history on a recruitment form. He was sent to basic training at Fort Benning, Georgia, but was arrested for assault and discharged after about five weeks.
Details from the detention hearing revealed that in 2016, Farca traveled to France in an unsuccessful attempt to join the French Foreign Legion, a branch of the French army open to foreign recruits.
Farca’s family and his lawyer said he has autism; details about his psychiatric history were redacted from a recent FBI report. His enlistment in the Army followed multiple refusals by mental health professionals to grant him a waiver. There is no scientific link between autism and violence.
In a statement emailed to J., the San Francisco office of the Anti-Defamation League expressed gratitude to law enforcement in Contra Costa County, the FBI and the U.S. Attorney’s Office in what the ADL said were “effective efforts to keep our community safe from this potential deadly threat.”
“ADL welcomes the Contra Costa Superior Court’s decision to revoke bail for Ross Farca on the criminal threats and weapons charges against him,” read the statement, emailed by senior associate regional director Nancy Appel. “Farca allegedly threatened to mass murder Jews, whom he referred to as ‘subhumans,’ and kill responding police officers. While released on bail, Farca’s behavior continued to cause serious concern.
“Simply put, Farca’s conduct and the threat he poses to the safety of the Jewish community, police officers and others necessitates his detention in both the state and federal criminal cases against him,” the statement read.
Farca allegedly used the screen name “Adolf Hitler (((6 MILLION)))” to communicate deadly threats against Jews on the website Steam, a networking platform for video game enthusiasts.
“I currently own an AR15 semi auto rifle but I can buy/make the auto sear and get the M16 parts kit. What do you think of me doing what John Earnest tried to do, but with a Nazi uniform,” a June 4 post said. “I would get a body count of like 30 kikes and like 5 police officers because I would also decide to fight to the death.”
“I have already commited enough fu,cked up sheit in my life that I will definitely go to hell even if I change now so there is no point,” another post read.
Farca is represented by Joseph Tully of the Martinez criminal defense firm Tully and Weiss in the state case, and by public defenders in the federal case. He is scheduled for a status conference on Dec. 20 before District Judge Jon S. Tigar of the Northern District of California at 9:30 a.m. in Oakland.