Vienna is home to what organizers are calling the world’s first permanent museum dedicated to the story of the Kinder-transport.
The memorial museum known in German as Für das Kind (For the Child) opened in the Austrian capital on Dec. 10. It was the 76th anniversary of the departure of the first group of Jewish children from Vienna as part of the Kindertrans-port — the German-language name for the organized shipment of Jewish children, often by their own parents, to save them from the Holocaust.
The museum is dedicated to the stories of the people who helped organize the shipment of approximately 10,000 children from Germany, Austria, Czechoslo-vakia and Poland to England between 1938 and 1939.
The modest-size museum is located in a basement on the Radetzkystrasse, which the Nazis used to house Jewish families before their deportation.
The main exhibition comprises 23 posters of suitcases with objects that children who survived the Holocaust took with them when they left on the Kindertransport. — jta