Thursday, May 15, 2014 | return to: news & features, national


Sterling apologizes in first interview since racist rant

Follow j. on   and 

Donald Sterling, the Los Angeles Clippers owner banned for life from the NBA for making racist comments, publicly apologized in his first interview since the remarks were made public.

“I’m a good member who made a mistake and I am apologizing and asking for forgiveness,” Sterling said in an interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper that aired May 12. “It’s a terrible mistake, and I’ll never do it again.

Asked by Cooper why he waited so long to apologize, Sterling said it was because he was “so emotionally distraught.”

Under the punishment laid down late last month by NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, Sterling may not associate with the team or the league after it was determined that his was the voice recorded without his knowledge making the racist rant, which included comments about black Jews in Israel. Sterling will be pressured to sell the team; he also was fined $2.5 million.

Sterling said he was not going to fight to keep the team, saying it would not accomplish anything for him to alienate the other owners and for each side to spend millions of dollars in order to fight it out in court.

“If the owners feel I deserve another chance, then they will give it to me,” he said. — jta



Be the first to comment!

Leave a Comment

In order to post a comment, you must first log in.
Are you looking for user registration? Or have you forgotten your password?

Auto-login on future visits