Iran OKs joint probe of Buenos Aires bombing
|Follow j. on||and|
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Sept. 28 at U.N. headquarters in New York that the bilateral agreement was approved by “competent authorities” in his country, according to the Buenos Aires Herald newspaper.
Zarif and his Argentinian counterpart, Hector Timerman, jointly announced the approval by the Iranians at the U.N.
In her address last week before the U.N. General Assembly, Argentinian President Cristina Fernandez called on Iran to provide an update on the status of the memorandum. “We are hoping they will tell us that the agreement has been approved [in Iran] and to settle a date when a judge will be able to fly to Tehran,” she said.
The next bilateral meeting will be held in early November in Geneva. Both governments then must agree on the details and procedures of the Truth Commission made up of independent legal experts, from neither Argentina and Iran, who will analyze evidence gathered on the AMIA attack and issue a report.
The July 1994 AMIA bombing in Argentina’s capital city killed 85 and injured hundreds.
Argentina’s Jewish community, international Jewish groups, Israel and the United States have protested the agreement. — jta
Be the first to comment!