Iran pulls entry from 2013 Oscars over anti-Muhammad YouTube video
|Follow j. on||and|
Iran did not submit a movie for the 2013 Oscars, in protest of an anti-Muslim video.
Iran’s culture minister on Sept. 25 said his country would boycott the next Academy Awards because the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences had failed to protest the film, which mocks the Prophet Muhammad and has stirred worldwide protests by Muslims since going viral. The academy organizes the award ceremony in April.
“I am officially announcing that in reaction to the intolerable insult to the Great Prophet of Islam, we will refrain from taking part in this year’s Oscars and we ask other Islamic nations to show their protest like this,” said Mohammad Hosseini, the official ISNA state news agency reported. “This film was made in America and the Oscars are held there, and so far no official stance by the nation that made this film has been taken.”
The deadline for submissions was
Oct. 1. Iran had planned to submit “A Cube of Sugar,” a dramatic comedy by Reza Mirkarimi about a wedding that turns into a funeral, according to the New York Times.
Iran won the 2012 Oscar for best foreign language film for “A Separation,” by Asghar Farhadi. Among the entries it beat out was Israel’s “Footnote” by Joseph Cedar. — jta
Be the first to comment!