the plaque reads: "established in approximately 1851 by the Hebrew Congregation of Sonora, later known as the Sonora and Columbia Hebrew Benevolent Society; this was the first Jewish cemetery in the Gold Rush region."
Historical plaque at Sonora Hebrew Cemetery

Gold Rush-era Jewish cemetery cleanup with Mother Lode Jewish Community

The Mother Lode Jewish Community plans a spring cleanup of the Sonora Hebrew Cemetery on May 21, followed by a barbecue at a private home in Jamestown.

Those interested in helping weed and freshen up the historic cemetery are asked to bring weed-eaters, rakes, brooms and work gloves.

The group draws its members from Amador, Calaveras, Mariposa and Tuolumne counties.

More information is available at motherlodejc@yahoo.com or (209) 533-1650.

J. Staff